Notre-Dame de Prevencheres
Mention of Notre-Dame de Prevencheres is first found in a decree of Pope Alexander III dated 1st April 1179, listing all the assets of the important Benedictine Abbey of Saint-Chaffre in Monastier, Haute Loire.
Situated close to the ancient way connecting the Rhone Valley with the Auvergne via the Col du Pal, this imposing church was therefore on the pilgrimage route to Le Puy en Velay. This important location meant that it was subjected to many trials and tribulations and the first chapel was soon brought to ruin. It was rebuilt during the 12th century in the Romanesque style and enlarged in order to accommodate both pilgrims and the parishioners of Montpezat. This beautiful building, plain and robust, was distinctive of the architectural style of the priories of Saint-Chaffre.
Laid waste by the Huguenots in 1567 it was once again restored and extended by the addition of gothic chapels. During the time of the revolution, as well as the religious services, meetings and patriotic ceremonies were held here. In 1885 the townspeople decided it was too far away from the town and a new parish church was built to replace it. Now deconsecrated and used to store hay gradually fell into disrepair and was left abandoned. Then in 1944 it was finally saved, being classified as an Historic Monument.